The header barge, high on one side, low on the other, was used to transport the bundles of wheat from the header to the stack or to the threshing machine.
In the right foreground, man with hat on, coat, top buttoned, right arm to side is Gene Murphy
Prime horse power is displayed on the Johnson Ranch in northern Haskell County, 1912.
Left to right: Merton Elliott, Grandson of J. C. McCoy, a ranch hand, Mr Johnson, J. C. McCoy on Horseback, a ranch hand, Frank McCoy, another ranch hand.
Rollie Wright in the light shirt and tie and hat in the middle of picture standing behind horse.
Sheep were an important economic asset in early Haskell County agriculture.
Poultry was a very important food source before refrigeration was commonplace in rural households on the prairie. Chickens and turkeys also provided a much needed source on income through the sale of live birds and eggs.
From the 1930 edition of the Sublette Monitor - There was a brisk trading at Santa Fe when a herd of sleek horses like those shown above were offered for sale. At that time the pioneers were unaccustomed to benefits of power farming and even motor cars were a rarity.
The man 6th from the right with tie, vest, white shirt looking forward is J. J. Miller.
At the right shows Cave Store and Frank McCoy Lands office.
From 1930 edition of Sublette Monitor -
Santa Fe pioneers fought hard for a railroad for Haskell County, but when it came it missed the former county seat. So the county seat moved to the railroad. Above is shown part of the adjustment to new development. Jas. S. Patrick's office was moved to Satanta; S. E. Caves store to Sublette. Building at center left is the Rutledge hotel. Building with arches and railing is the courthouse at Santa Fe.