From the 1930 Edition of the Sublette Monitor -
Above is pictured a session of the district court in the former county seat.
Reading from left to right (top row): The late "Bill" Lucas, Sheriff: Myrtle Rice, Court Reporter: The late Judge William Howard Thompson: Albert Jasper, Clerk of the District Court and a Christian Preacher; C. G. Dennis, County Attorney and Lawyer in Sublette today;
Second Row: The late T. W. Marshall, Lawyer of New Ulysses; John J. Miller, Pioneer Publisher of the Sublette (then the Santa Fe) Monitor; An unidentified Lawyer; H. W. Stubbs, a Lawyer of Ulysses; H. O. Trinkle, A Lawyer of Garden City; Herbert Rhoades, a Lawyer then of New Ulysses and now of Nebraska; C. E. Vance, A Lawyer of Garden City; Albert Watkins, a Dodge City Lawyer; A. B. Crum, a Lawyer of Lyndon, KS; Richard J. Hopkins, now a Federal Judge; Edgar Foster, a Garden City Lawyer; John Mars, A Santa Fe Lawyer then whose whereabouts is unknown now; The late L. A. Madison, a Dodge City Lawyer; and Ralph Wallace, a Satanta Merchant.
Believe the Calendar to be November 1912.
From the 1930 edition of the Sublette Monitor - There was a brisk trading at Santa Fe when a herd of sleek horses like those shown above were offered for sale. At that time the pioneers were unaccustomed to benefits of power farming and even motor cars were a rarity.
The man 6th from the right with tie, vest, white shirt looking forward is J. J. Miller.
At the right shows Cave Store and Frank McCoy Lands office.
From 1930 edition of Sublette Monitor -
Santa Fe pioneers fought hard for a railroad for Haskell County, but when it came it missed the former county seat. So the county seat moved to the railroad. Above is shown part of the adjustment to new development. Jas. S. Patrick's office was moved to Satanta; S. E. Caves store to Sublette. Building at center left is the Rutledge hotel. Building with arches and railing is the courthouse at Santa Fe.
The Presbyterian/Dunkard Church at Santa Fe. Later moved north to the Plymell community and was added onto.
In the background you will notice the rail cars in use on the newly laid track. The buffalo grass has been cut short to mark the new main street with construction on the first building in Sublette, The Cave Mercantile. This building for was known for many years as the T. M. Deal Lumber Company. There were living quarters upstairs which were used by the Cave family for a time; doctor Miner had an office upstairs also. The second story of the building was damaged in a storm and has since been removed.
Construction has also begun on The Rounds & Porter Lumber Company, one block south of The Cave Store, they are preparing for the growth of the new county seat.
The Rutledge tent were railroad crews were fed and housed can also be seen.
Citizens turn out near the newly excavated foundation for the Rutledge Hotel. The Rutledge tent restaurant/hotel for railroad workers can be seen at left. The tent was set up in 1912 on the corner east of the present McCoy Grain Elevator to provide sleeping quarters for and a place in which to serve meals to the men who were building the Santa Fe Rd.